Wednesday 16 October 2013

First Filght

MY FIRST FLIGHT

JET AIRWAYS



I had heard a lot of jet airways , so I was excited to be going on my first flight on  Jet Airways . I stood in the queue for jet airways with my friend . I got the  Gate pass and then I was asked to fill a form with my details. It seems that all Indians must fill this form when leaving the country and when returning from overseas

Then I had to stand in a Queue for passport control and they asked me why and where I was going and some details about myself. That was over quickly though I was a little tense as it was my first time . Then the security checking .All the security personal were surprisingly North Indians and hindi speaking officers, but since I knew hindi well it was not an issue. I came to know that airport security was provided by the Central government , so thats why the personal are Hindi speaking guys though the airport was in south indian state which is not a hindi speaking state

All that was over and we then proceeded to the gates and sat down in the area provided for the passengers . Thats when I took  a good look at the airport . I hadnt been able to look at the airport due to my tension of first time flying and It looked good since it was a new airport and the facilities was not so bad . It was my first time in an airport.  The passengers seemed to be quite and pretty silent and most people talked in low tones. I felt hungry and we had a tea and snacks in the snack bar .It was funny to see the prices , seemed amusingly high to me ! but the sacks were good

There were many flights and people were coming and going .  I was able to see my first Passenger Aeroplane so close for the first time .I stood near the glass and looked at flights from different countries . There were some flights of Air India, the National carrier andI was delighted to see that they had painted many scenes of India on the tail and some of that was scenes from kerala !

That delighted me to no extent .I watched the flights take off with a curiosity of a small child marvelling in the sight of such a huge machine taking off so easily ! such a delightfull sight  ! 

My friend was sitting on the chair with an air of total boredom and I saw that same expression on the faces of many passengers . Frequent travellers, I thought with a smile. It seemed to me that They put an air of detached boredom on their faces on purpose !! Like ,  hah we seen this so many times. 

I heard the call for our flight and suddenly all those people sitting and lying lazily on the couches got up and proceeded to the designated gates in a hurry, as if everyone wanted to board first !

I saw no point in that because we had to sit in the seat numbers provided. I talked to my friend and sadly saw that his number was different meaning we had to sit separately inflight !

I stood in queue and smart young women from jet airways took our gatepass and showed it on their computers, there was a  small sound and they gave me back the gatepass after tearing the bogger portion. They seemed quite efficient and their manner and behaviour reminded me of military precision ( I havent been in miltary but had been in the NCC in school ) I seem to feel a respect for their professionalism and behaviour towards the myriad of passengers walking in

Through the glass I had a glimpse of the plane i was supposed to board and I was quicky disappointed !! It was so small !! Unlike all those big planes, the one we were supposed to board seem so small.I thought at that time , it  looks like a small tube , ha ha or like a lengthy BUS !!

I wondered how many people could board on that plane ! It seemed that many people were in Queue so I guessed that it must be pretty cramped in there, as we neared the doors , I felt my suspicions justified. it was a small plane and I had to duck at the doors, I had a first look at the Interiors of my first flight in disappointment

It seemed so crammed and packed of small seats. I am a bit tall and I knew that I would have problems stretching my legs. The seats were red and white and seemed not so cushiony. But the plane was neat and clean. The flight attendants guided me to my seat and I was delighted that it was a window seat !

I always loved to sit near the window when travelling by bus or car or train so it was good that my first flight was by a window seat ! I buckled up  and watched with a curiosity of a kid as people poured in and startd opening overhead baggage and cramming their oversized bags into that tiny space. everyone seemed to have huge bags.My small bag I had sent thru baggage as my friend told me that was better as we could travel "hands free "

Soon the doors shut and The cabin crew showed us demonstrations which I watched a bit apprehensively because all that they were telling was incase the flight went down !! what a way to start a journey !! and nobody was listening too except some first timers like me !

Then I heard the engines rev up and I felt the plane vibrate , I had fleeting doubts of the aircrafts ability to take off and fly with so many people. And to add to that they had also put tons of luggage beneath us which I had watched sitting near the window. I swear vegetables being loaded to the luggage bay !! They send vegetables by flight to dubai !! from kerala ?  hells bell ! thats really surprising !

The plane was moving along some lines slowly though there was more noise than its speed and i watched the Lines onthe runaways in white and yellow and many things written which made no sense to me, I wondered how the pilots could see all that things below .

then suddenly the engines burst into a roar and we surged forward with a  jerk which took me by surprise and I was pressed back against the seat as the Aircraft surged forward at great speed for take off . i saw the grass and runway whizzing past, my head seemed to buzz slightly and suddenly i felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and I felt as if my liver and lungs had come down to my belly and my belly was bottoming out !! . we were being airborne. I saw the ground go down and my head buzzed and my belly and chest felt pressed down.the plane was taking off at a sharp angle and looking out of the window I realised that I had a big wide grin on my face !!

I was smiling like a delighted baby as the plane took to the air .I wanted to laugh in joy and i covered my mouth with my hand so that the passenger beside me did not think I was mad or something as i was grinning quite widely like I was nuts !!

I was in the Air for the first time In my life !!

No comments:

Post a Comment