Thursday 17 October 2013

In the air from cochin to dubai

In the air from cochin to dubai

I kept looking out of the window and was amazed at the way things looked down there. the flight turned this way and that way and settled to a normal position

soon everything down was blanketted by clouds and i couldnt see anything below. I still looked at the clouds and the blue skies 

The cabin was soon alive with passengers unbuckling their belts and walking up the aisle to the bathrooms and what not. I sat there and took everything in feeling like in a dream. I was on a flight !! in the air god knows how many feet up in the air

The air hostesses then brought refrehments and I had an orange juice . later I saw they were providing drinks. I dont drink liquor but i like beer and I saw them serving beer, but i was too shy to ask again after opting for orange juice first

Hmm they serve drinks in flight. not bad !!


After the drinks came food and it was not so bad
they asked me veg or non veg and I said non veg and what came was a meal with  all veg things and one small curry with small piece of chicken

I smiled, well atleast they gave me that. better than nothing !

I spent few min fiddling with the packs and wraps as everything was in some package or another and eating in those cramped space was something, but I ate it as I was famished and topped it with some coffee. but the milk powder tea tasted horrible and soon i had gas in my stomach

My head started to ache a bit and I tried to lean back on the seat and get some sleep but sleep eluded me due to the discomfort of the economy class seats. people were sleeping soundly. I envied them

I lay back and tried to close my eyes and relax and after some hours   I people moving and looking out

Then i saw the sands
it was far away and I guessed those frequent flier knew we were about to land

I saw seas of sand and dry mud and barren hills 
The whole place was hot and sunny

I was going to a desert, the Gulf !!

pretty soon the lights came on, we fastened our seatbelts and the plane began descending. It seemed to tgake ages to land and finally i felt the thud of the wheels which felt to me like it was a bit too hard

people started getting up and opening overhead baggage compartments before the plane came to a stop. Me and my friend waited for all the hurry burry people to go by and then we slowly inched forward. 

I could see busses and flight taking off and landing . Lot of activities

Dubai airport

I followed the queue to the check in and then my friend guided me to the visa checking. I had to stand in a queue for scanning my eyes !!

I was tired and so just followed everyone and whatever they asked to do. Infact everyone seem to be meekly obeying. maybe thats because this was not their country 

Then I went through passport control and the arab asked me something in malayalam and i was surprised. keralites or people from the southern state of kerala are also called malayalees and their language is malayalam(so is mine ) and I have heard of malayalees arriving in UAE for more than 35 years ago !!  god !! how it must have been then !!!

Then i collected my baggage and marvelled at the huge airport full of shiny steel and glass so spic and span and shiny

lots of police and guards

we moved towards the exit and my friend looked at me and said " brace yourself "
i raised my brows as i didnt understand and as the automatic doors opened and we moved out of the airport 

Thats when I was hit by the heat !!!

my god
it was so hot !!
the whole world was hot
I gasped and stood quickly to the shade

my friend smiled at me

"welcome to dubai"





No comments:

Post a Comment